Sunday, July 21, 2013

5 Tips You’ll Want to Know for Rush


5 Tips You’ll Want to Know for Rush

Rush week is the week you will find a sisterhood that lasts a lifetime. It’s also the only thing between you and opening that bid card. If you keep an open mind and stay true to yourself Bid Day will be one of the happiest days of your life!

The best advice I can give is to be yourself. If you hate sharks, don’t say you went swimming with great whites in Hawaii. It’s important to know that rush is not about impressing people; it’s about finding your home for the next four years. Having gone through recruitment myself, here are a few more tips to live by…



Bring Flip-flops! When I went through recruitment I had to go all the way across west campus in just a few minutes. Rush requires lots of walking and yes… maybe even running, that’s what happened to me! I was bare foot running around Austin in a dress looking for my next house and just hoping my hair wasn’t loosing its curl. And trust me when I say if your feet hurt it’s really hard to keep a smile on and pretend like this is the happiest moment of your life. As for the shoe? If you want to wear a heel make sure its easy to slide right off so you don’t have to worry about spending time putting shoes on!
Get the Texas App! You already have so many things on your mind; the last thing you want to deal with is getting lost. Remember, on the back of your rush packet there is a map that labels the streets and sorority houses. A useful tool to navigate your way through rush is the University of Texas at Austin app! It will not only be useful for rush but also on your first day of class at UT! I still use this app and I am going into my Junior Year, lets just say I hope you’re better at directions than I am!



Don’t smack! Gum is never a good thing to be chewing especially when you’re having a face-to-face conversation. I realized a few seconds into a house that I had a big piece of peppermint gum in my mouth… There was nothing I could do. Spitting it out in a napkin would have been awkward with her looking at me and she had already seen it so if I swallowed it that would be obvious and gross. Is there any way to chew gum politely? The best solution to keeping your breath smelling fresh is breath mints! Altoids are the way to go.
Bring a fan! As you know, it’s going to be a hot week. Temperatures will probably be up in the 100s. Even if little portable fans are nerdy, you will be glad you have it! Trust me, it can get awkward when you ask a girl, “Hey can I borrow your fan?” because chances are she’ll pretend she didn’t hear you. It’s all about staying cool, calm and collected! Don’t forget to drink lots of water. 

Bring toiletries to freshen up! Oil wipes are always a good idea on a hot summer day; Sweat dripping down your face can be a huge buzz kill. Don’t second-guess yourself when it comes to deodorant; always bring it. A trial size is the perfect fit for your limited space! On nights like Skit and Pref when you may dress up more bringing a small tube of hairspray can keep you looking like you just walked out the door!

I wish you all the best of luck and I am so excited to meet all of you!

ZLAM,

Courtney Norris PC ‘11
Recruitment Team

1 comments:

Haley Carson said...

This was super helpful, thank you :)

Post a Comment