Sunday, October 19, 2014

TX/OU Weekend 2014

PC '13 Julia Monter and Brianna Yotides!
One of the most exciting weekends of the year for Texas students is when we get the chance to play the University of Oklahoma in the annual Red River Rivalry.  The game takes place every year in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl, which is in the middle of the Texas State Fair.  A lot of girls go with a fraternity or with a group of friends to the event.  Those who did not buy a ticket to the game either roamed around the fair or watched the game at a friend’s house.  

UT vs OU at the Cotton Bowl!
This year I went with a date, and the fraternity rented buses to take everyone to Dallas on Friday after class.  Once we arrived at the hotel everyone had a chance to rest and get dressed for dinner and the events taking place that night.  The next morning everyone had to wake up early in order to be ready in time to get on the bus to make it to the game, which started at 11 a.m.  Luckily we made it to the fair early enough to get an infamous Fletchers corn dog (the highlight of my day) before kickoff.  The score was pretty close the entire game, leaving fans on the edge of their seats till the very last minute.  The Texas football team put up a good fight against the Oklahoma Sooners, the No. 11 team, leaving the final score 31-26.  Once the game ended everyone headed out to enjoy the remainder of the afternoon at the fair. 
Big Tex!
  For those who are not from Texas or have never attended the state fair it is hard to describe what a big deal it is, and how fried all the food is.  Name any food and I bet you can find the fried version of it at the Texas State Fair.  Of course I had to try some fried cake balls (they were delicious), see Big Tex, and ride my favorite ride, the Crazy Mouse.  Everywhere I turned I was surrounded by floods of people in burnt orange, and crimson.  The atmosphere in Dallas this weekend was full of friendly rivalries that added to the excitement of the game.  After a fun filled day at the fair I definitely needed a nap. 
Texas State Fair!
Saturday night the fraternity I was with had a formal, like many of the groups did.  I had so much fun with all of my friends dancing to the band and talking about our weekend.  I cannot believe that the weekend went by so fast. I am already looking forward to TX/ OU weekend next year!

ZLAM,  Julia Monter PC ‘13














 

0 comments:

Post a Comment