Friday, April 3, 2015

Round Up 2015

Following spring break, we eagerly awaited the most talked about weekend of the school year: Round Up. After 84 years of celebration, I was anxious and excited to attend the 85th. I had seen countless pictures and heard enough stories to know what to expect: jerseys, stickers, fanny packs, and live music. Once the schedule of performers came out, it seemed as if there was no way I’d be able to see everyone I wanted without being in two places at once. All week there had been talk about how the new Austin laws and permits required for outdoor music may cause concerts to be shut down, but I remained hopeful that the weekend would go smoothly.
            Friday morning came before we knew it and it was time to cover ourselves head to toe in Zeta apparel. The term “face tattoo” was no longer as we covered our arms, legs, and honestly anything else visible, with glittery letters that we later would regret as we failed to successfully scrub them off. The first thing on my schedule was Back Yard Bash. Our event at the Zeta house was filled with smiling faces, delicious food, snow cones, and face paint (of course). After filling our stomachs with burgers, we were ready to take on the day. The sun beat down on us as we hopped from fraternity to fraternity. They all had music, but my favorites were the select few with bounce houses or slip ’n slides. It wasn’t too hard to spot fellow Zetas due to our matching attire, and I was thrilled to see so many familiar faces.
            Saturday came around and the weather was just as beautiful as Friday. The big decision of the day was between seeing Travis Porter perform at Fiji and Tyga at Sigma Chi. After deciding on Tyga, we made our way over to an unbelievably large cluster of people down Nueces Street. After impatiently waiting for what seemed like hours (probably twenty minutes tops), we made it inside. Unfortunately, our worst fear came true and everyone was told to leave before Tyga came on stage to perform. On the bright side, I made friends with a security guard who let me on stage for a few quick minutes, which ended up being the highlight of my weekend. Having to leave wasn’t all that bad since there were countless other performers to attend all around West Campus. By the end of the night, everyone was exhausted and eager to get a good night’s sleep.
            Looking at the weekend as a whole, what surprised me most were the congested swarms and lines of people. Even though I expected massive crowds, I was both overwhelmed and happy I wasn’t claustrophobic each time I changed locations. All in all, Round Up lived up to my expectations. I saw countless performances, met up with many friends, and managed to have a snapchat story which exceeded 100 seconds. I can’t wait to see what the next three years of Round Up have in store!

ZLAM,
Savannah Krantz PC 14


0 comments:

Post a Comment