Sunday, July 12, 2015

Perfect Paris

This summer I had the extraordinary opportunity to study abroad in the city of love and lights: Paris, France. I was able to take two marketing classes through the business school while simultaneously becoming immersed in the French culture (and indulging in the French food, of course). For five weeks, I lived in a dorm in a residential area of the city and navigated the infamous metro to get to classes in the mornings and famous sights in the afternoons. I was able to see all of the “Parisian” landmarks in my short but sweet time in the country, from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe, from Notre Dame to dinner on the Seine, and from the Ponts de Arts love lock bridge to, of course, the Tour Eiffel. Along with traveling inside of Paris and France, including to Versailles and Monet’s house at Giverny, I had the opportunity to visit three cities in Italy, and even stop by to see my big, Sam, in London!
While studying abroad, not only was I able to get six hours of credit out of the way in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, I was also able to form lifelong friendships with the other 31 Longhorns in my group. After spending 5 weeks working and traveling alongside these people, I realized how much they had impacted my perspective on life, as I was able to meet students from all different cultures and ages that go to UT that I might not have ever met wandering the halls of McCombs. I also had the ability to interact with outstanding UT professors, including the chair of the Marketing Department, and learn to appreciate and develop a whole new love of marketing from their classes. This summer not only helped me to expand my cultural horizons, but also helped me to decide to declare a second major in marketing!
The cultural experience of Paris was something that I will never forget. As Casablanca said, “we’ll always have Paris,” and I can definitely say that quote holds true for me. Living in Paris this summer has made an astounding impact on my life, and I will never be able to forget the atmosphere of such a beautiful city. Walking around the streets I got to hear so many different languages being spoken; talking to strangers and new friends, I learned all about different backgrounds, customs, and ways of life. And the food. Oh, the food. I might have gained a few pounds, but the French bread, brie cheese, pastries, and macaroons were definitely worth it. Paris holds a special place in my heart after this summer, and I am already looking forward to going back.

-Callie Blumenfeld
PC '14



0 comments:

Post a Comment