Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Winter Break: New York City


Coming out of first semester, I was beyond excited to spend time with my family and take advantage of winter break. My excitement was only added to by the fact that my mom had announced her, my younger sister, and I would be visiting New York for a few days over break. The minute I got home from Austin I started thinking about what to pack and what I wanted to do to take advantage of my first winter visit to the big apple. We already had a few things planned, especially since my mom gave my sister and I tickets to the much anticipated Broadway show Hamilton for our birthdays, but even still we had lots of free time to fill.


My sister is obsessed with New York City so from the moment we were in the airport it was nothing but excitement for not only her, but my mom and myself as well. After a relatively easy flight we landed at Laguardia just to find out that while we made it in one piece, not one of our bags had made it onto the flight. While this was a hassle, we made the most of the situation and went shopping for clothes and toiletries to last us for at least one day and then ventured out to a 
delicious dinner before settling into our hotel. The next morning we woke up and went back out to the airport to happily find our bags waiting for us. From then on it was nonstop fun and girl bonding time. Lunch at Bergdorf Goodman followed by shopping at Bloomingdales made for a perfect day. The next day we started the day off in arguably the most perfect way, brunch. Avocado toast and hot tea set the scene for yet another few hours of wandering the city and shopping. However, that wasn’t the highlight of the day. Later that night we hopped on the subway and headed down to Times Square to see the unforgettable Hamilton. Even after listening to the soundtrack a million times, nothing could compare to seeing it in person. The next morning we woke up early to start our final day in NYC. Skating underneath the Rockefeller Christmas tree, or in my mom’s case pulling herself along the wall while acting as unofficial photographer, was unforgettable. 

While we sadly had to head home that afternoon to be back in time for Christmas, the trip will forever be fondly in my memories. After being away at college all semester and rarely getting to see my family, the time spent bonding and reconnecting with my mom and sister was so welcomed. Even with the weather nearly freezing our ears off, New York in the winter was truly a trip I will never forget.



ZLAM!
Ellen Teuscher


0 comments:

Post a Comment