Thursday, April 19, 2018

Mom's Weekend 2018

There is nothing better than seeing the look on a mother’s face after accomplishing something great, or reaching a goal for the first time. I received this look after moving to Austin to live on my own, as well as the day I received a bid from Zeta Tau Alpha, where I met strong independent sisters who would comfort me in my transition to “adulthood.” I would say that my mother found peace in the fact that I had such a large support system, and if you had seen how excited she was, you would have thought she had received a bid as well.


My mother attended UT as well, but she did not go through recruitment. She remembers, however, frequently walking past our sorority house and thinking to herself “Wow, this is so beautiful!” The chain of events from applying to UT, getting accepted, choosing to go through recruitment, and finally pledging Zeta Tau Alpha will forever be some of our favorite shared memories. As Mom’s weekend quickly approached, I was more than happy to experience our favorite city together with my sisters. With multiple events planned for the weekend like a comedy show, sales at the Domain, and a Sunday brunch, the weekend could not come fast enough!  Mom’s weekend was extremely special because, for the first time, my mom got to tour our beautiful sorority house as the proud mom of one of its PC ‘17 members.


My mother, having never experienced the true sisterhood of Zeta, was amazed at the instantaneous relationships she formed with the girls in our chapter and their moms. She was overwhelmed with all the Zeta love, and I believe that is what is so special about this highly anticipated weekend in the chapter. Whether your mom went through recruitment, was a Zeta herself, or chose not to rush, there is something extremely special to show about your own journey. Getting to share mine with my mom has brought us closer together, which seems impossible considering how tied to the hip we were already. Recruitment was one of the first things I did entirely by myself, and after seeing how excited I was on bid day, how many friends I made since the first week of college, and how involved I’ve been with Zeta already, my mom knew I had found a wonderful new home to replace hers with, at least until the summer, right?

Anjuli Fink
PC '17



0 comments:

Post a Comment