Sunday, November 2, 2014

ZTA Mentoring at Wooldridge!

If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. — Booker T. Washington

Volunteering is extremely rewarding – there is something so special about being able to help others and give your own time to make someone or something even better than it already is. When the opportunity to volunteer and mentor children at Wooldridge Elementary School here in Austin through Austin Partners in Education arose, I knew I had to be a part of it. I have mentored students before and I have consistently found the process to be worthwhile for both the student and the mentor.

To start the process, I attended a workshop to learn how to appropriately interact with the students. I was given information regarding my student and Wooldridge Elementary and then I was given paperwork including questions and activities I could use to help guide my assigned student. Although I have volunteered before, I was nervous for my first day because I didn’t know exactly how my mentee would react to my questions and how he/she would feel about being pulled out of class to talk to a stranger. Lucky for me, my first experience was amazing. Although my student had trouble opening up at first, the sessions have been very beneficial.

My mentee and I have spent weekdays reading several books in the library, in both Spanish and English. Within a few weeks, I have seen his/her reading skills improve already. We have also had the opportunity to play soccer outside and the weather has been beautiful. Some days we have chosen to just sit on the bench outside and talk, and it has given me the opportunity to truly connect with my student. Although our sessions are only 30 minutes long, there is plenty of time for me to hear about his/her week and update him/her on my week as well.

We have gotten to know each other very well and I feel as if I am definitely helping my mentee with even the smallest things, knowing they will have a big affect. What my student doesn’t realize, is that he/she is helping me – I have grown as an individual and I have learned a lot about how to help younger students break out of their shells. I am beyond lucky to have this opportunity and I cannot imagine what my weeks would be like without having the chance to see the smile on my student’s face.

ZLAM,
Brittany Beldon, PC '13



0 comments:

Post a Comment