Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Meyerson's Family Vacation


This past Christmas break, my sisters and I (all Texas Zetas: Rachel Meyerson PC ’06, Anna Meyerson PC’09, and me, Caroline Meyerson PC’12) were fortunate enough to travel around the world. With my parents, we traveled for three and a half weeks to Egypt, Tanzania, and France.

Stop 1: Cairo, Egypt! On our first day there, we got to see the ancient pyramids. To think that they are 5,000 years old is crazy. Even King Tut saw those pyramids and thought they were ancient – he reined 2,000 years after they were built. Then we traveled down the Nile River and visited various tombs and temples. Sadly, after 9 days, we had to leave. I absolutely fell in love with the country and the people. I plan on going back as soon as I can.

Stop 2: Tanzania! My family and I landed in Tanzania, and within 2 hours, we saw wildebeests, zebras, cheetahs and cheetah cubs. The wildlife was incredible. Over the next few days, we got to see everything – lions, lion cubs, black rhinos, hippos, wild dogs, warthogs, monkeys, elephants, hyenas, flamingos, ostriches, gazelles, impalas, African buffalo, baboons, jackals, and my favorite - giraffes!!! The scenery and weather was beautiful. We got to experience picturesque sunsets and amazing campfires after the game drives. I felt like I had lived through a National Geographic magazine.
 
Stop 3: Paris, France! It’s one of my dad’s favorite cities, so we decided to take our last stop here. This city is the epitome of Europe - the little sidewalk cafes, the subway, the art museums, the sidewalk artists, etc. The best part of the trip was spending New Year’s in Paris. On New Year’s Eve,  my whole family and I walked to the Eiffel Tower and counted down to midnight. The Eiffel Tower started sparkling, and fireworks were shot off. After too many chocolate croissants and café lates, we headed home to Houston.
 
This vacation was a once in a lifetime experience. We were so thankful to be able to take this trip, see amazing sights, and spend real quality time with my family – no cell phones, no Netflix, no distractions. It was incredible to be with my family for such a large amount of time. The quick “hello” at half-time during the UT football games just didn’t cut it for me. Sometimes, we all need to take a step back from our busy lives, make time for each other, and enjoy. Through this trip, it was made completely possible, and I (and my whole family) will be forever thankful.

Happy New Year!

ZL,
    Caroline Meyerson
    PC '12

0 comments:

Post a Comment