Thursday, April 3, 2014

ZTA Mom's Weekend

          One of the perks of being a freshman is not knowing what to expect. This year I experienced my first college class, first college football game as a student, first all nighter, and just this past weekend…first Mom’s Weekend. Friday morning went by in a blur as I sprinted back and forth between meetings, class, and hurriedly cleaning up my room. My mom was driving up with my roommate’s mom (also a Zeta—Kelsey McGlamery), as they had long since bonded over their daughter’s shared room, sorority, and their same names (both Kathy’s). We drove up to the Domain area to meet them at dinner at the restaurant North. 

          Naturally, Kelsey and I rolled in about twenty minutes late, but when we finally did arrive I couldn’t help but laugh. My mom and I, even though we haven’t seen each other all semester, were wearing almost the exact same outfit: a cream top with one inch sleeves, black shorts, a long statement necklace, Kendra Scott earrings, and cream wedges. Like mother like daughter. I instantly became hit with how much I had missed my best friend while away at college, and we spent all dinner catching up on boy talk, funny college memories, and news from home. 

Catching up at dinner in perfectly matching outfits.
          After dinner we headed downtown to Summit, where Zeta had rented out the rooftop bar area exclusively for us. Blessed with beautiful weather and an extraordinary view of downtown, the night was well spent socializing with the other mothers and introducing my mom to all of my friends so that she could finally put faces to the names she’d heard so much about. 

          The next morning, we had originally planned on power walking down to the lake for an early morning workout, but promptly became distracted by the stores along 2nd that we swore we’d “just look at but come back later” that were offering discounts to Zeta moms and daughters for the day. Needless to say, we never made it to the lake but found some VERY cute steals. 

           After sprinting back to Zeta, grabbing some food along the way (thank you food trucks of Austin), we barely made it in time for the painting event held in our backyard. Accentuated by Tiff’s Treats and lemonade, our hectic morning in the city dramatically contrasted the relaxing afternoon we spent out in the sun while painting flowers and snacking with local reggae music in the background. 

           That night,we met up with a group of my friends at Second Bar and Kitchen on the corner of Congress and 2nd street. Sporting some scary tan lines from our day spent outside, we stayed at dinner for hours enjoying the company of some of my best friends and their mothers. Whether our mothers are initiated Zetas or not, there’s no denying strong bonds of sisterhood were formed that night. 

The Zeta Think Pink Brunch at Austin Country Club
          Finishing up the weekend with a brunch at Austin Country Club (with almost just as much time spent taking pictures), I couldn’t help but reflect on how lucky I was to have been able to spend the weekend with the women I care most about: my mother and my sisters. Saying goodbye after such a short time was sad but the awesome memories and plenty of laugher we shared over the weekend are sure to be more than enough to hold me over until next time I see my family! 

ZLAM, 
Lauren Woolfolk
PC ‘13




0 comments:

Post a Comment