Thursday, November 22, 2012

Racing for the Cure- Zeta Style


This past Sunday Austin Texas hosted the Annual Komen Race for the Cure. Zeta Tau Alpha looks forward to this event every year for it is very close to our hearts as breast cancer awareness and research is our National Philanthropy. This is one of our many events we do to promote awareness of breast cancer and we all participate in the race in some way. Some people volunteered to cheer runners across the finish line, some registered to run, and some helped out with pass outs and signs. Whatever their position Zetas were definitely not hard to find out and about that Sunday at the finish line one 16th St and Congress.

When I arrived at the race for my shift to start at nine (which is definitely on the early side for me on a Sunday morning) I did not drag my feet, for the energy was contagious. From mom’s with infants strapped to their bodies to grandpa’s with puppies, everyone was decked out in pink. There were large groups, small groups, solo runners and even teams with creative matching t-shirts with creative sayings such as “Ninnies for Ninny!” 1 in 8 women get breast cancer so its hard these days to find anyone that is not affected in some way.

At the finish line I had the perfect view, and I saw it all. I saw what looked to me like a newborn followed up by a grandma who was wheeled through the race in her wheelchair, but I say that shows some heart. Some racers were happy and joyous as they crossed the finish line, others were in tears. Regardless, emotions were running high as the racers completed the stretch. Many of the volunteers were moved to tears by the raw emotion on some of the racer’s faces- it was really something to see.

When people who had survived breast cancer, which was over 1,500, crossed the finish line, we handed them pink roses, congratulated them, and ushered them on to the special survivor’s path ending in the survivors tent where they received a special welcome. This was the first year that the tent was established and it was a huge success. I personally received many hugs and thank just for being there and supporting the cause when really I felt it should be the other way around. I felt so grateful to be a part of Zeta so that I could be included in such a touching event. Breast cancer effects women’s health, and in turn, a family’s health, and the pain this disease brings to so many of us is really a staggering spectrum. I felt so honored to be able to cheer those amazing women down the survivors path, because it’s their courage, enthusiasm, involvement, and support that keeps this incredible event a success.

Another unique and heartwarming achievement was that this was the first year that all the girls who participated in our chapter were able to coordinate and all walk together. Thanks to the incredibly hard work of Jan Winkleman, we had awesome participation this year. You could feel the sister hood everywhere and it had nothing to do with matching shirts. The girls walked the race proud and laden with emotion, for many of our members have been significantly and personally affected by Breast Cancer. Together as sisters they completed the race with signs of support and cheers of enthusiasm.

Overall, the race was an incredible success. I am so proud of our chapter for getting so involved this year. I personally gave cheering those women on my all, and their honest appreciation was touchingly clear. There was a spirit of community that I can’t quite describe. I do know one thing though, there are few things that will coax a college student from her warm sheets into the bright outdoors at 6:30 AM. When I found out a group of our babies had been cheering since that appalling hour, I could not have been more proud. What we stand for as a chapter and the values we pass from pledge class to pledge class were blaringly clear that day. That event was so much more than a mandatory crown or philanthropy point- to us and to every women we got the chance to connect with. To anybody who missed it, you missed out! The experience I had even beat out the breakfast tacos, which from me, is saying a lot. 

Chandler Amoroso 
PC '11








0 comments:

Post a Comment