Monday, November 5, 2012

Summer Lovin’ Meets Spring Show!


            We all watch those movies growing up where the protagonist gets sent off for the summer, whether it’s to enjoy the summer months soaking up the sun on the beach and un-expectantly falling in love with the cute boy at the lifeguard hut, running around at summer camp singing songs and playing pranks on the boys cabin, or traveling the world searching for the something missing from your life. These summers always turn out to be “a summer of a lifetime” or “the summer of (year), one I will never forget”. I always thought these so called “moments” were cliché and staged, I mean honestly, how could you determine he was your soul mate after a matter of two months!?

            As much as I’d love to tell you I found my soul mate this summer, my “summer of a lifetime” was a different kind of love affair, one involving a high fashion designer and an internship in NYC.
Rebecca Taylor and her children backstage
              On May 21st I walked into the 16th floor of the Garment Arcade, 307 west 36th street NYC, also known as Rebecca Taylor. It was the first day of my summer internship as an art director intern with Rebecca Taylor. Tim Kitchen, the art director for Rebecca’s entire brand/clothing line, warmly greeted me with a huge hug and beaming smile. I knew instantaneously I was going to love coming to work and everything Rebecca Taylor had to offer me.

            So let’s fast forward….. my whole experience at Rebecca Taylor was amazing, I got my hands dirty with everything, a little taste of every part of branding Rebecca’s line, everything from designing print ads, to designing clothing labels, gift cards and event invitations. I left to come back to school with a whole new outlook on the fashion industry!

            However, the real perk of the job took place of Sept. 8th…… Rebecca Taylor’s 2013 Spring Fashion Show! I flew in the day before the show and joined the mass chaos and hype of NYC fashion week. I was walking around the day before with a friend near Bryant Park and a show must have just let out because a flood of women dressed to the nines filled the sidewalks surrounding us. Saturday I headed to Rebecca Taylor’s office and helped pack up everything. Tim and I were in charge of documenting the show, we both had our cameras out and ready to go. Tim also gave me a Super8 camera, an 8milimeter film camera that has about 3 minutes of film. The Super8 gives the image a cool jumpy vintage feel!

            I ran around backstage snapping off pictures and trying to soak in everything I could possibly hold! It is almost all a blur, there were models, Aveda hair styles, makeup artists, camera crews, and security everywhere! People kept stopping me to ask about my Super8, as if I actually knew what I was doing… Ha!

            The show started and I filmed everything, the girls were beautiful, swiftly moving down the runway, the clothes flowing and illuminating in the lights. It was surreal, the show was over in a matter of 2 songs and the venue was empty about 2 minutes after that!

            After fashion week, I decided I was determined to make it back to NYC. Nothing is going to take away my love for this industry and everything that goes into it!
 - Aimée







0 comments:

Post a Comment