Monday, September 9, 2013

Bid Day 2013

The morning of Bid Day began outside of the Zeta house. I, along with my chapter, stood in the front yard anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new members. With my sunflower and name tag in hand, I felt the excitement of meeting my new sisters build up inside of me. Giddy murmurs filled the air and it was very evident that everyone was counting down the minutes until the moment our new Zeta members would arrive. Finally a voice quieted all the chatter and gave us the news we had been waiting for all morning…“Here they come!” I whipped around and sure enough, headed straight down Nueces Street were 73 smiling faces in sundresses charging our way!
What was once chatter had now turned into hollers of excitement! “Welcome Home!” was the cry we all yelled as our new members smothered us with hugs, joyful tears, and yes, more hugs. I scanned the crowd of new members and sought out a familiar face, my friend Rachel. Rachel and I cheered together in high school, so to have her as an addition to the Zeta Tau Alpha chapter was thrilling beyond words! I buddied up with my friend Rachel and immediately the whirlwind of picture taking began! Bid Day is funny, because the new members take pictures with each other like they have been best friends since birth! I love this aspect of Bid Day! It’s so easy to embrace one another because there is a mutual understanding that you will all be great friends within a matter of a few weeks!

After picture taking, Rachel and I decided to enter the Zeta house. I think it is fair to say the room inside looked like it had exploded turquoise and steel grey (the official colors of Zeta). Posters, flowers, t-shirts, decorations, and baskets covered the floor and couches, all as gifts to our new friends. Rachel was so excited and the joy on her face just made me even more anxious to show her around the rest of the house. We ended up parking next to a basket that I personally made for her. Rachel looked like a little girl on Christmas as she sifted through the various gifts in her basket. We chattered about the excitement of the day and it was at that moment that I felt a sigh of relief. Rush week was over, and the wait was done. We officially could welcome our new friends to share this place we call like to call home. I am so excited for Rachel and the rest of the new members to experience life as a Zeta. Wonderful friendships and opportunities are going to be their reality in just a matter of time. So I guess all I can say is welcome home Zetas, welcome home.
ZL Courtney Groos (PC 12)

0 comments:

Post a Comment