Monday, September 23, 2013

Cooking for a Cause


Bella Tommey appears on Fox News for her cooking segment!
Last Thursday morning, I was privileged enough to be given the opportunity to feature on the Fox News cooking segment. I was told that I would be baking donuts during the short time slot and that I would be able to explain my new cookbook ‘Time for Tea (Guilt-Free). The inspiration for my book derived from my younger brother Billy who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2 and is unable to eat any gluten, casein, sugar or soy products. Many other people like Billy are on similar restricted diets due to the strong links between brain function, food allergies and nutrition.
I personally have a serious sweet-tooth and due to my love for baking, I would constantly make indulgent deserts that my brother could not enjoy. It used to break my heart when Billy would start crying when he realised he was the only one who could not have a slice of a chocolate cake. One day, my mum asked me if I could attempt to bake a gluten, casein and sugar free dessert for a family visiting that were on a diet similar to my brothers. My first instinct was that it would not be possible to create something remotely tasteful, particularly after having to watch my brother miss out for all these years but I decided to attempt the challenge none-the-less.

After searching for ages and failing to find any solutions, I decided that my only option was to try and adapt from various standard recipes and substitute the bad ingredients for healthy ones. I ended up creating a Raspberry and Chocolate Tart and the results were outstanding. We were all shocked as to how delicious the pudding was, despite having absolutely no sugar, dairy, soy or gluten in it whatsoever.
Consequently, I started engaging in conversations with my dad who is a clinical nutritionist and soon enough was creating healthier yet more delicious new recipes everyday to replace all the sugar packed foods I had previously been eating. I also learnt the benefits of raw produce and this is something I also considered when writing this book.
Some of Bella's modified desserts!
It didn't take long for my family to realise just how fabulous we felt since we had eliminated sugar from our diet. Surprisingly, we had far more energy than we ever had done, our skin was clear and we were looking in far better shape just after a few weeks. It was then that I started to research sugar in more detail and was amazed how much damage sugar can do if eaten excessively.
I put together an e- book of all my recipes tried and tested by friends and family over the summer. The results were amazing and I was overwhelmed by the support and opportunities that I received, such as the Fox segment. I feel so much healthier, slimmer, fitter and happier not eating sugar, gluten and casein and this certainly does not mean that I have to be deprived from sweet-tasting foods. But what makes me even happier is that my brother can now eat dessert with our family and is over the moon with the results.
I really urge you to try the recipes for yourself and I would love to hear your feedback if you decide to!

ZLAM,

Bella Tommey

0 comments:

Post a Comment