Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Year of the Pom

Any student at The University of Texas would agree that we go to the best school in the entire world. Last year I thought I had the best freshman experience, and didn’t “want the year to end, because it can’t get any better than this”. However, if I had known what the next year would hold for me, I wouldn’t have spoken so soon. I had a very unique experience, that being that I was a proud member of the Texas Pom Squad.
For those who do not know what Texas Pom is, you would probably recognize us at any football game as “the girls in the chaps” with “the biggest teased hair you’ve ever seen”. Also, you could spot us on the basketball court wearing sparkly, sequin crop tops and white pom poms. Ring a bell? Pom is an incredibly prestigious team within the Texas Spirit Program, and although we are dancers, our primary job is to be Texas’ biggest fan. We cheer on the Longhorns wh
ether we win or lose, (hopefully we win), and keep a smile glued to our faces the entire time! While it was exciting cheering on the Horns in the stands my freshman year, it was so rewarding being able to support them either on the DKR football field or in the Frank Erwin Center as an honored member of Texas Pom.

Many people have asked me “so how do I get into the Spirit Program?”. Well here’s the short answer: A LOT of hard work. Coming in as a freshman, I tried out for Pom and unfortunately did not make the team. Of course I was upset, but I was even more motivated and driven to come back and make the team the next year. I kept up with regular workouts and dance classes, making sure to come better prepared for tryouts at the end of the year. Once again, I yelled the Fight Song, shimmied through a Jazz routine, “got thug” during a Hip Hop combination, and kept it together during the technique portion. I was very fortunate to be invited back to the final round of tryouts. After two days of physical and emotional stress, my last evaluation to my surprise was not dancing, but an interview. There, sitting by myself in front of the coaches and my future captain (not to mention the rest of the team sitting behind me watching my every move), I answered a variety of questions—some were random, some were about myself, and some were scenario. Needless to say it was an interesting, yet fun interview! But the hardest part was yet to come. After my interview, I waited FOUR DAYS until I finally received a phone call and email notifying me that I was one of the fourteen rookies that made the team! As I’m sure everyone from my rookie class did, I called my mom crying hysterically from the excitement.
Before making the team, I had only considered the distinguished uniforms and the game-day experience. With other obligations outside of practice, Texas Pom proved itself to be an incredible time commitment. I have come to realize that although the experience was not what I originally expected it to be, in regards to the long hours of practice and amount of recognition within the program, it has fostered cherished skills that will last a lifetime. I have learned if you are not fifteen minutes early, you are late. I have had to sacrifice personal time and have been put in high pressure situations, all of which apply to the expectations of any hard working young woman. In a program as respected as this Spirit Program is, there were bound to be plenty of ups and downs, but what made the year worthwhile were the incredible girls I spent it with, two of which are my Zeta sisters (shout out to Carrie Matus & Asia Marion). Not only did we spend the year bonding as Pommies, but we also bonded as sisters. It was such a rewarding feeling knowing that we could lift each other up every day (literally), encouraging each other to work hard and keep pushing toward our goals. Although we could not be at the Zeta house for all chapter meetings, ceremonies, and events, we certainly did not forget what the word “sisterhood” truly means.
Carrie, Asia and I were able to accomplish a lot in one year, and although we will not be joining the team in the upcoming season, we will never forget the opportunities we were granted, the hours we spent doing what we love, and most importantly, the lasting friendships we made. I cannot wait to see what God has planned for the three of us, and I am so excited to have more time to spend with my Zeta sisters. Thank you to the University of Texas Spirit Program for leaving me with cherished memories and an incredible year to look back on for the rest of my life.

Carrie & Asia—I’ll see you both at Zeta!

ZLAM <3
Margana Wood
PC’13 

0 comments:

Post a Comment