Monday, March 2, 2020

National Rituals Week: Leadership

Three knocks. Those three knocks on the door right before the well anticipated door chants echo in my head. It was recruitment week, and I was beyond excited to find my sisters and new home at a UT sorority. After the welcome from the Recruitment Captain and the President, girls flooded out of the Zeta house brimming with excitement to meet us. As the week went on, I truly found my home in Zeta. I fell in love with each girl I talked with, finding so much of myself in the women leading each day of recruitment. These girls put their heart and soul into the process, and it was truly noticeable. These girls were the reason for my decision to pref Zeta.
Right off the bat, the Executive officers introduced us to the Kappa Chapter. I was so intimidated; myself being a little freshman in such a huge sorority. Every girl I met was involved; there were leadership positions for every girl who wanted to be a part of something. However, I told myself that I would not have the opportunities to pursue a leadership position until I was older and better known within the sorority. How wrong I was. After initiation, every girl in my MC was highly encouraged by older girls to seek leadership positions. Why? Because this chapter does more than create friendships and participate in different events. Zeta’s goal is to prepare women to be leaders in our community.
Each member of Zeta is engaged in outside organizations. Leadership is utilized in so many ways in  all aspects of our chapter: from designing banners to planning mixers. Within my member class, my friends applied for positions such as assistant VP, favors committee, and big little coordinator. I wanted to apply for recruitment team. The girls on the team last year were the reason I went Zeta. Not only that, but the girls that talked to me during recruitment week showed me what sisterhood truly is. They put their heart and soul into the process, and I could see the strength in their friendships and leadership as they worked so hard throughout the week. Being on recruitment team has given me the opportunity to pursue something I am extremely passionate about. 
There is a reason that Zeta’s motto is Seek the Noblest. It is because each and every girl has a place in the sorority to flourish and grow. Leadership is just one of many aspects of our chapter. Each girl has their own gifts, and each gift is a puzzle piece that fits perfectly into Zeta. It is amazing to see how many girls didn’t know they had the capability to lead who have excelled in their positions. Girls of all ages are leaders, from PC to Exec to committees. There is a place for everyone. Zeta creates the opportunity to do so much more with oneself during our four years here at UT. Zeta continues to grow our qualities and harness our talents to be the best possible versions of ourselves. Thank you, Zeta Tau Alpha, for not only giving me my best friends, but giving us the opportunity to be more than ourselves and become leaders in our community!
 



Love, Brijit Crosby MC ‘19




0 comments:

Post a Comment