Friday, March 28, 2014

A Fun-Filled Weekend: Backyard Bash and Round Up

          In September I sat around with my new sisters, chit chatting about our lives and getting to know each other. I strictly remember the reference of Round Up and my instant questions regarding what it was. The girls around the table all gasped and asked if I have been living under a hole. I was at a huge disadvantage considering my out-of-state upbringing. 

Taylor Eisenberg (AEPhi) and Samantha Katz
          The buzz and excitement built up around the weekend of Round Up was nothing short of monumental. A sorority girls first Round Up was repeatedly described as the greatest weekend of your freshman year. The speculation began building in December. The thought of a weekend in March seemed so far away, but preparation needed to begin ASAP.  Once the list of Round Up gear was released (T-Shirts, neon shorts, temporary tattoos, glow sticks, etc.), the mayhem truly began. Ordering one of everything, I justified my actions by the importance of an out-of-staters first roundup. 

          The weekend finally came upon us as Zeta’s all over UT shrieked from an overwhelming amount of excitement. Without shame, I had to go to class until 2 o’clock that afternoon, meaning my arrival at Zeta had directly after. I wore all my new goodies to class, decked out in Zeta from head to toe. Although my friends laughed at my bold class attire, numerous girls and boys stopped me on campus and asked about our philanthropy that afternoon. I think the most important thing occurring from this weekend was the uniting force philanthropy has across the Greek system. Everyone was excited and wanted to support one another by attention their events. 

          As I walked into Zeta for our event, Backyard Bash, I was welcomed with hugs from Momma G and Franny, our president. As laughs and food were shared amongst friends, I scanned my surroundings. I could easily pick out my sorority sisters who matched my exact outfit, but was even more excited to meet all their friends from across the Greek community supporting the Silver Spurs and Zeta that afternoon. In that moment, everyone
had devoted a couple hours of their lives to help us for the greater good. And of course, the biggest hit of all was the Zeta’s signature face painters.


           Backyard Bash was the perfect event to start off the weekend and all the philanthropy opportunities. The yard was packed; the emotions lively and the entire atmosphere showcased the pure happiness everyone felt while being here. The entire experience was a hit to say the least. When you mix good friends, food, and music for a good cause, one can just smile at the Zeta and Spur’s achievement. 


Samantha Katz
PC'13

Enjoying music during Round Up

0 comments:

Post a Comment