Wednesday, March 5, 2014

She will be forever Crowned

Informing Elementary Students about bullying
         Imagine a middle school aged girl surrounded by a close-knit group of her “best friends” all with similar interests and all getting along. Now imagine this same girl being ridiculed, teased, physically and verbally tormented by this same group of transformed “mean girls.”  This may sound like a movie script or TV program you have seen, but this was me, and my life that was turned upside down in the blink of an eye. My experience of having been bullied has had a huge impact on every aspect of my life. It affected how I felt about myself, my relationships with my family members, how I fit in with others, and how well I performed in school. I will never forget the anxiety of not understanding why this was happening, or my helplessness in determining what I could do to stop it. 

          It has taken me many years and the support of my true friends and family to understand and overcome the effects of having been bullied. Part of my growth into young adulthood has been to educate myself on the subject of bullying, by looking at what happened to me, and by talking to and for other kids who have had similar experiences. 

          One problem in combating bullying is that most people that hear the word “bully” have a picture of a big tough boy beating up the skinny nerd. However, what many people do not realize is that girls’ involvement in bullying is just as common as it is with boys and its emotional and social impacts are similar. Girls may bully because of jealousy, a need for attention, or fear of competition. Girl bullying can be more behind the scenes and often occurs as rumor spreading, ignoring, excluding from groups and activities, insults or body language, such as eye-rolling and smirks, and therefore may easily go unnoticed by adults.  Our schools and communities do not adequately recognize this form of bullying and girls continue to grow up believing that being bullied or seeing others bullied by a “mean girl” is a normal part of life. We must challenge this belief and create a new sisterhood of girls and women who know we are all better off when we stand up for ourselves and for others.

          Several years ago I was invited to compete in the Miss America Organization and as a part of that, was obligated to create a public platform. My platform “Nice Girls Rule” intends to educate young girls about the hidden forms of bullying. “Nice Girls Rule” reminds us to stand up for ourselves, our friends, and anyone bullied around us. Competing in Miss America scholarship pageants has afforded me the chance to meet hundreds of committed and dedicated young women who have inspired me to be a leader and voice for change. This platform has become one of my greatest passions and motivations. The judges must have seen my conviction as they crowned me Miss Houston’s Outstanding Teen 2012, and then Miss Texas’ Outstanding Teen 2012. I then enthusiastically carried my message to a national stage at the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen pageant in August of last year, finishing in the top 8 of 53 state winning contestants. 

Top 8 at Miss America's Outstanding Teen
          During my time as Miss Texas’ Outstanding Teen and even now, my goal is to make public the damaging effects of the hidden form of bullying. I will continue to concentrate at the source, which are our elementary and middle schools, promoting the idea of girls banding together, and making pledges to each other to appreciate and nurture our strengths as well as our differences. I was fortunate enough to have been afforded a unique opportunity to publicize this issue across the state of Texas. I was able to make guest appearances at numerous middle and elementary schools, and many other public events. I feel honored to have impacted the lives of young people by showing them that if someone like me, who has lived through and overcome being bullied by her so-called friends can become Miss Texas’ Outstanding Teen, then other girls will be inspired to follow their dreams and overcome similar challenges in their lives. I believe without a doubt, through education and dedication we can accomplish my goal of ending bullying in our schools.

         Now, after I have passed on the crown to another deserving titleholder
and as I have entered a new chapter of my life (literally),  I have been blessed with all of the Texas Zetas, knowing their love is unconditional and they will always love and support me no matter where my endeavors take me. I just can't wait to see my Zistas supporting me in the audience as I compete in the hopes of, one day, becoming Miss Texas or maybe even Miss America (yeah.. a girl can dream). Next  fall, I plan to compete in local Texas scholarship pageants, continuing to promote my anti-bullying platform and carry on the legacy of the Miss Texas Organization.

*I guess it was destiny for me to become a Zeta... now I can always wear the crown.

Love always,
Margana Wood PC'13
Assistant Historian






0 comments:

Post a Comment