Sunday, March 2, 2014

Like Father, Like Daughter: Zeta Tau Alpha Dad's Weekend 2014

         Dad’s weekend is by far one of my favorite weekends of the spring semester. But really, how often do you get to spend 48+ hours alone with your Dad? My Dad had texted me weeks in advance to make sure he was packing all the proper attire for the Zeta events we had planned! I just knew it was going to be a successful weekend!
Rachel and her dad at the 360 Overlook
        Dad’s weekend started off as my Dad drove in from Houston. Friday night we enjoyed a fun dinner before heading to our planned Zeta event at Buffalo Billards. When we arrived at Buffalo Billards, we met up with a few of my pledge class sisters. My Dad felt right as home as he was around tons of familiar faces from previous Parents’ and Dads’ weekends. We played rounds of shuffleboard, pingpong, pool, and darts before realizing it was after midnight! The night literally flew away from us at the amount laughter we were sharing. Saturday morning my Dad and I woke up early to go eat breakfast at our favorite Crêpe restaurant. Following a delicious breakfast, we headed to 360 Overlook and Mount Bonnell. Both hikes were exquisite and definitely an amazing time spent with my Dad!                       Later in the afternoon, a few of my pledge class sisters, Jenna, Lauren, and Morgan, took our Dad’s to lunch before the Baseball Game. It was great to be able to spend time with my sisters as well as our Dad’s. The baseball game was a great Zeta event! We filled two sections along the first base side! Immediately following the baseball game, we headed to the Zeta house for a crawfish boil! It was great to spend time at the Zeta house eating great crawfish with our Dads’. 
          Overall, it was an incredible weekend filled not only with my Dad but also spending time with my sisters and their fathers. I look forward for to my next two next years of Dads’ weekends even more!

ZLAM,
Rachel Miller, PC'12
Director of Alumni Relations



Lauren Sanders, Morgan Willett, Rachel Miller, Jenna Nelson with their dads



        Between crawfish and baseball, I’m pretty sure my dad was in heaven. For the weeks leading up, all I received were phone calls and texts from my father telling me how excited he was. Practically every voicemail, regardless of the subject, ended with something along the lines of “looking forward to Dad’s Weekend” or “just a few more days until the big event!” I even got a few texts from my mom saying she was excited for Dad’s Weekend simply so my dad would stop talking about it. I’m sure she was just jealous it wasn’t Mom’s Weekend instead.
Lindsay and her dad at the UT vs. Stanford Baseball Game
        When the “big event” finally arrived, my dad and I were extremely excited to see each other. He came in on Saturday afternoon so unfortunately we missed the Friday night events, but there was no way we were going to miss the baseball game. Growing up, baseball was a really big deal in my family. My dad played baseball, my brother played baseball, and even I played baseball in an all boys league (yes, I have pictures to prove it) so we were thrilled to be going to a game together after so long. The whole time we reminisced over all the funny baseball memories we had so we really appreciated Zeta putting this together. It definitely meant a lot to both of us.  
        After the game, we headed back to the Zeta house for the crawfish boil. We grabbed seats with Hayley Onofrey and her dad and the whole time Hayley and I were beaming since our dads were hitting it off just like we had only months before at the very same house. I guess you could say it was meant to be! My dad and I had actually been planning on just stopping by, but we had so much fun that we ended up staying the whole time. While, of course, eating tons of “mudbugs” as my dad calls them. It was a perfect way to finish off the day.
        Overall, I’d say Dad’s Weekend was a major success. Between the activities and just getting to hangout, I think my dad wishes every weekend was Dad’s Weekend. Now, all I get are texts and phone calls from him saying how much fun he had in Austin. I’m sure we will be talking about it for a while!


ZLAM
Lindsay Smith
PC'13

0 comments:

Post a Comment