Thursday, March 7, 2019

National Rituals Week- Thursday: LIFELONG LEARNING


Continuing on with "A Value A Day," today we are highlighting Lifelong Learning! Zeta defines this value as a woman who applies past learning to new challenges, continuously pursues learning about herself and her purpose, and looks for learning opportunities in every situation. As Zeta women, we strive to not only succeed in the classroom, but to take time to learn and reflect on who we are, what we stand for, and why. These answers come from learning from the many different experiences we have throughout our lives. It is with this knowledge that we may reach our fullest potential- as individuals, as well as sisters. Today you will hear from both past Rituals Chairman PC ‘16 Mckenna Richards, and PC ‘17 Taylar Packard on their experiences in cultivating this value! Happy Thursday!
-Hartley Reese PC ‘17, Rituals Chairman :)

Thursday: Lifelong Learning


Mckenna Richards PC ‘16, Former Rituals Chairman:


As a junior coming up on three years of being a Texas Zeta, words can’t describe how much this chapter has given to me. I’m continually amazed by the friendships, growth, and new experiences that being a ZTA has brought into my life. I think that our value of lifelong learning perfectly describes how Zeta has influenced my time in college. First and foremost, I came to UT to pursue my education, and Zeta has been an invaluable tool in helping me accomplish this. I’ve been given so many resources for academic success by being in this chapter. Getting to build relationships with my professors during professor dinners, networking with ZTA alumnae passionate about helping younger Zetas succeed in their career, and spending countless hours studying at the house waiting for study snacks are just a few of the ways that Zeta has encouraged me to be the best student I could possibly be. As I prepare to graduate and apply to medical schools, I’ve never felt more supported by my sisters. But so much of what I’ve learned has taken place outside of the classroom. College has been a time for an unbelievable amount of personal growth, and I wouldn’t be the woman I am today without Zeta. Guided by our values and a community of women with a desire to be our very best selves, I couldn’t feel luckier for the growth I’ve experienced as a result of being in this chapter. Being a Zeta has undeniably changed me for the better. As I prepare for a lifetime of learning, both about medicine and myself, I find comfort in knowing that my Zeta sisters will always be there to support me and cheer me on.


Taylar Packard PC ‘17:


You learn to grow by challenging yourself and by putting yourself in new situations. The friends you have by your side can really be a big part of that learning process. My sisters have been there to help me through tough times and offer advice. My sisters have also been by my sides during all the fun times too.


I distinctly remember one time in particular when I could feel the support and strength of my sisters around me. My sisters were gathered at my apartment on a Sunday afternoon as we cooked stir-fry. Cooking together quickly became a tradition for us as we started to celebrate every minor holiday and finding excuses to celebrate things like ABC’s The Bachelor. It gets challenging to coordinate everyone’s busy schedules. Even if it is only one meal together a month, I know we will all be looking forward to that moment every month.


I remember thinking that these friends are going to be my sisters for a lifetime and I am so glad that I have them by my side. We push each other academically as we have study dates always at the cutest coffee shops. We push each other mentally as we are always there for our sisters and provide honest and genuine advice. We are able to push each other to see things in a new light and be able to learn something from every experience.


With a good group of sisters, you will learn something new about yourself and the world around you every single day. And that’s the way it should be. Learning does not end when you step foot off the 40 acres. Learning is a lifelong process and great friends will lead to great learning experiences.

0 comments:

Post a Comment