Monday, October 28, 2013

Being a KIPP Student Mentor



           This semester I have had a remarkable experience being a student mentor for Karla, a 5th grade student at KIPP college prep middle school. I am in the Plan II Honors program at UT and we have partnered with KIPP - a system of charter schools focused on getting underprivileged kids to and through college. As a member of the KIPP/Plan II partnership I attend a weekly class on educational inequalities in America, as well as visiting Karla at KIPP once a week.
                   Founded by two Teach For America veterans, Mike Feinberg and Dave Levin, the intention behind KIPP schools is embodied in their mission statement found at the front entrance of Karla’s school: “KIPP Austin Public schools will empower underserved students to strengthen the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to thrive in, and graduate from, four year colleges, giving them the freedom to shape their futures and positively affect their communities.” Students at KIPP sign a contract at the beginning of each year agreeing to longer school days, summer school, daily homework, and a commitment to excellence, all in an effort to get caught up and on track for a successful future. Many students who enter into the KIPP program come from school districts with limited funding and resources leaving the students severely below grade level on state tests. KIPP is a beckon of hope for many families whose children would otherwise be stuck in disadvantaged school districts with limited opportunity for quality learning.
                  This is Karla’s first year in the KIPP program, which now extends K-12th grade. As her mentor I help her adjust to the rigorous requirements at KIPP by being open and available for her to talk and look up to. Since her family’s goal is for her to attend college, I am an accessible example of someone who has successfully scaled the mountain to get there. During my visits, Karla and I play games, make crafts, and share our lives with one another. She tells me about her frustrations and joys and I continually get her excited about university life. The more attainable and exciting college becomes in Karla’s eyes, the easier it will be for her to continue to put forth the effort to get there. When I walked into Karla’s classroom last Wednesday she ran up to tell me about the 91 she had made on her math STAR practice test. I have aided Karla in making new friends and growing as a student, yet simultaneously Karla’s determination and confidence through such a new experience has truly been an inspiration. 

ZLAM, 
Tara Woolheater PC '12

1 comments:

Daniel Efosa Uyi said...

hey nice post meh, You are one of the best writers I've seen of recent. I love your style of blogging here. this post reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Best Bodyweight Workouts .
keep up the good work friend. I will be back to read more of your posts.

Regards

Post a Comment